Pacific Plus Specialties Inc.
13241 Valley Branch Lane, Suite 200
Dallas, Texas 75234 USA
800-818-8668 toll free
STAINLESS STEEL SPECIALTY FINISHES
Polished Finishes: Mirror-like True #8, Super #8, and standard SSINA No. 4, No. 6, No. 8.
Titanium coloring applied over polished finishes.
Chemically etched designs over polished and/or titanium coloring.
This section is developed for finishes to stainless steel and the stainless steel material only. Fabrication of end items is not included. Fabrication of items utilizing stainless steel finishes from this section are specified in the section for that specific item. Therefore, PART 3 of this section is used mainly to reference other related sections.
At specifier=s option, excerpts of information from this section may be utilized in other sections. For example, the selected finish paragraphs may be inserted into Section 14270 - Custom Elevator Cabs. Items in bold text are suggested for this purpose. If this full section is used, remove the bold from the text.
Edit entire Section to suit project requirements. Modify or add items as necessary. Delete items which are not applicable. Words and sentences within brackets [_____] reflect a choice to be made regarding inclusion or exclusion of a particular item or statement. Where a value, word, or phrase is followed by a bracket, the preferred value, word, or phrase occurs first, with the other choices following inside the brackets. This section may include performance, proprietary, and descriptive type specifications. Edit to avoid conflicting requirements. Editor notes to guide the specifier are included between lines of asterisks to assist in choices to be made.
This guide specification is written in the Construction Specifications Institute (CSI), SectionFormat standards, references to section names and numbers are based on MasterFormat 95.For specification assistance on specific product applications, please contact our office listed above.
Hwa Yang Stainless reserves the right to modify this guide specification at any time. Updates to this guide specification will be posted to the manufacturer=s web site or in printed matter as they occur. Hwa Yang Stainless makes no expressed or implied warranties regarding content, errors, or omissions in the information presented.
************************************************************************************************************************PART 1 GENERAL
************************************************************************************************************************Edit Section Includes paragraph below for project requirements.
A. Section Includes: Specialty stainless steel finishes for exterior and interior applications including [polished] [titanium colored] [and] [chemically etched designs] for:
1. [Metal column covers.]
3. [Wall panels.]
4. [Elevator door and wall panels.]
7. [Curtain walls.]
8. [Ceiling panels.]
9. [Wall panels.]
10. [Revolving entrance doors.]
12. [Specialty windows.]
13. [Specialty entrances and lobbies.]
14. [Signage including [channel letters] [_______].]
15. [Trim and accents.]
16. [[Security] [Institutional] [Recreational] [Unbreakable] mirrors.]
Edit Related Section paragraph below to suit project requirements; delete sections that will not be used. Add other sections applicable to project.
B. Related Sections:
1. [Section 05500 - Metal Fabrications.]
2. [Section 05580 - Formed Metal Fabrications.]
3. [Section 05720 - Ornamental Handrails and Railings.]
4. [Section 05750 - Ornamental Sheet Metal.]
5. [Section 06400 - Architectural Woodwork.]
6. [Section 07482 - Architectural Metal Wall Cladding.]
7. [Section 08400 - Entrances and Storefronts.]
8. [Section 08410 - Metal-Framed Storefronts.]
9. [Section 08470 - Revolving Entrance Doors.]
10. [Section 09546 - Metal Panel Ceilings.]
11. [Section 09547 - Linear Metal Ceilings.]
12. [Section 09770 - Wall Surfaces.]
13. [Section 10160 - Metal Toilet Compartments.]
14. [Section 10240 - Grilles and Screens.]
15. [Section 10260 - Wall and Corner Guards.]
16. [Section 10430 - Exterior Signage.]
17. [Section 10440 - Interior Signage.]
18. [Section 11620 - Clean Room Equipment.]
19. [Section 11700 - Medical Equipment.]
20. [Section 12350 - Specialty Casework.]
21. [Section 13030 - Special Purpose Rooms.]
22. [Section 14200 - Elevators.]
23. [Section 14270 - Custom Elevator Cabs.]
24. [Section 14300 - Escalators and Moving Walks.]
25. [Section ______ - _______________________.]
26. [Section ______ - _______________________.]
C. [Allowances: Work of this section is affected by cash allowances. Refer to Section 01200 [_____].]
D. [Alternates: Work of this section is affected by alternates. Refer to Section 01200 [_____].]
A. Specialty Steel Industry of North America (SSINA), 3050 K Street, N.W., Suite 400, Washington, D.C.
1. Designer Handbook, Finishes for Stainless Steel.
B. American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM) Standard Specifications
1. A 167 Stainless and Heat-Resisting Chromium-Nickel Steel Plate, Sheet, and Strip.
2. A 240 Heat-Resisting Chromium and Chromium-Nickel Stainless Steel Plate, Sheet, and Strip for Pressure Vessels.
3. A 480 General Requirements for flat-rolled Stainless heat-resisting Steel Plate, Sheet, and Strip.
4. A 666 Austenitic Stainless Steel, sheet, Strip, Plate, and flat Bar.
C. American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI).
D. American Welding Society (AWS), Practices for Weld Rod Selection.
Definitions listed below are from the Designer Handbook, Finishes for Stainless Steel by SSINA. To assist the specifier in selecting the proper finish the following commentaries are provided on each of these finishes.
No. 4: Satin brush finish achieved with 150 to 180 grit, fine directional polish. This is a common finish and is most often seen on washroom accessories. Another example is the metal cover plate on a 3.5 inch floppy disk.
No. 6: Hairline finish achieved with 80 to 140 grit, it has a well defined directional polish. The starting base substrate is a No. 4 that is then polished to provide a continuous long grain Ahairline@ look. This finish is popular with designers for an aesthetic look, and is popular with fabricators due to ease of matching the finish after welding operation.
No. 7: This mirror finish is not as commonly used. Although it is often called a mirror finish, this highly reflective finish does still have Ahazy@ polishing lines still visible. It is sometimes referred to as a Adirectional@ mirror finish or a Abrush@ mirror finish. If SSINA Atrue@ No. 8 finish is not clearly specified, this finish may be Asubstituted@ for the No. 8.
No. 8 or ATrue #8" by Hwa Yang
The most reflective mirror finish on the market and is usually what the designer is desiring when specifying ANo. 8 Mirror Finish@. All polishing grit lines from preliminary polishing operations are removed, and the look of a glass mirror is achieved.
This finish is sometimes referred to as Super 8, No. 9, Perfect No. 10, or even No. 12 mirror. Super #8 is a patented process by Hwa Yang Stainless. SSINA does not have published standards for any finish above No. 8.
CMP Super #8 Mirror by Hwa Yang
Chemical Mechanical Polished (CMP) Super #8 mirror finished sheets are guaranteed to be free from manufacturing defects. This is the ultimate in mirror polished stainless steel. It is available in single-sided or double -sided mirror polished sheets.
A. SSINA Architectural Polished Stainless Steel Finishes:
1. No. 6 Finish: A dull satin finish having lower reflectivity than No. 4 finish. It is produced by Tampico brushing the No. 4 finish in a medium of abrasive and oil. It is used for architectural applications and ornamentation where a high luster is undesirable, and to contrast with brighter finishes.
2. No. 7 Finish: High degree of reflectivity produced by buffing finely ground surfaces, but not to the extent that existing grit lines are removed. Used chiefly for architectural and ornamental parts.
3. No. 8 Finish: The most reflective finish that is commonly produced on sheet, obtained by polishing with successively finer abrasives and buffing extensively with very fine buffing rouges. The surface is essentially free of grit lines from preliminary grinding operations. No. 8 finish is most widely used for architectural parts, small mirrors and reflectors, and for press plates.
B. Titanium Coloring: Titanium nitrite based physical vapor deposition (PVD) process for coloring stainless steel producing a finish plating that is highly resistant to abrasion, UV, and corrosion.
A. Product data for each type of product specified.
B. Samples for initial selection purposes in form of manufacturer's color charts showing full range of colors, textures, and patterns available for each type of finish indicated.
1. [For titanium colored stainless, provide actual sets for each color specified, showing full range of variations expected in these characteristics.]
2.. [For chemically etched designs, provide actual sets for each color, texture, and pattern specified, showing full range of variations expected in these characteristics.]
C. Samples for verification purposes in 3 inch square units of each metal finish indicated, prepared on stainless steel of same composition and thickness to be used in final construction.
Include quality assurance requirements below which are consistent with the size and scope of the project and extent of work of this section. Only request qualification statements you intend to review, and which are necessary to establish qualifications of the product, manufacturer, or installer.
1.5 QUALITY ASSURANCE
A. Finish Manufacturer Qualifications:
1. Firm with minimum 5 [___] years experience employing experienced, skilled persons.
2. Firm that has successfully produced finishes similar to those required for this Project.
3. Firm that has sufficient capacity to produce required units without causing delay in the Work.
B. Single Source Responsibility: Obtain sheet metal from a single manufacturer.
C. Coordinate fabrication and installation of items specified in this section with other adjoining units of Work.
A 30 year warranty is available of the titanium colored stainless steel finish. Consult with Hwa Yang through Pacific Plus. Refer to editor notes on finishes.
A. Provide warranties in accordance with Section   [_____].
B. Provide written warranty stating titanium colored stainless steel finish will be free from fading, peeling, cracking, pitting, corroding or non-uniformity of color, in accordance with manufacturer's descriptive standards, for 30 [___] years from date of Substantial Completion.
PART 2 PRODUCTS
A. Acceptable Manufacturers: Subject to compliance with requirements herein, manufacturers offering products which may be incorporated in the Work include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Hwa Yang Stainless, Pacific Plus International Inc., 2025 Midway Road, Suite D, Carrollton, TX, telephone 972-458-0286, facsimile 972-991-6399.
2.2 STAINLESS STEEL SHEET METAL
1. Provide sheet metals selected for their surface flatness, smoothness and freedom from surface blemishes where exposed to view in the finished unit.
2. Do not use materials whose exposed surfaces exhibit pitting, seam marks, roller marks, variations in flatness exceeding those permitted by referenced standards for stretcher-leveled metal sheet, stains, discoloration or other imperfections.
Standard sheet thicknesses used for architectural finishes ranges from 0.5 mm (25 gage) to 3.0 mm (11 gage). Consult manufacturer for other thicknesses.
Maximum sheet thickness for titanium coloring is 2.0 mm (14 gage), minimum thickness is 0.8 mm (22 gage).
Chemically etched designs are typically produced on sheet sizes of 4 feet by 8 feet. Consult manufacturer for other sizes.
B. Stainless Steel Sheet: ASTM A 167, AISI Type 304 or 316 (UNS 30400 or 30316), stretcher leveled, with the following mill finish:
1. Cold-rolled for surfaces requiring extensive polishing after fabrication to produce the uniform polished finish specified under "Stainless Steel Finishes."
Retain one of the following thicknesses:
Polished can be readily achieved on any of the following sizes.
Chemically etched designs can be readily achieved on 0.8 mm (22 gage) through 3.0 mm (11 gage.)
Titanium coloring can be readily achieved on 0.8 mm (22 gage) through 2.0 mm (14 gage).
2. Sheet Thickness: 0.5 mm [____] (25 [___] gage).
3. Sheet Thickness: 0.8 mm [____] (22 [___] gage).
4. Sheet Thickness: 1.0 mm [____] (20 [___] gage).
5. Sheet Thickness: 1.2 mm [____] (18 [___] gage).
6. Sheet Thickness: 1.5 mm [____] (16 [___] gage).
7. Sheet Thickness: 2.0 mm [____] (14 [___] gage).
8. Sheet Thickness: 2.5 mm [____] (12 [___] gage).
9. Sheet Thickness: 3.0 mm [____] (11 [___] gage).
Select and retain one of the following standard sheet sizes, consult manufacturer for custom sheet sizes.
10. Sheet Size: 1219 mm (4 feet) by 2438 mm (8 feet).
11. Sheet Size: 1219 mm (4 feet) by 3050 mm (10 feet).
Edit following article to include finishes required for this project.
Refer to definitions above. A true No. 8 finish must be specified, and samples submitted to ensure the end result. There is not a consistency in providing a No. 8 Finish. Hwa Yang has a patented finish for both True #8 and Super #8 which will ensure a correct No. 8 Finish. Single or double-sided polishing is available.
Typical sheet sizes are 4 feet by 8 feet and 4 feet by 10 feet. Custom size sheets and thicknesses can also be ordered from Hwa Yang Stainless, but they are subject to order minimums.
Titanium Colored Finishes:
Colors available from Hwa Yang Stainless include Gold, Brass, TI Gold, Rose Gold, Rose Copper, Bronze, Black, Charcoal. The colors are produced after the polishing process is complete.
Titanium coloring of stainless steel using this method does not require a protective lacquer coating over the finish. The achieved finish is highly resistant to abrasion, UV, and corrosion. There is a 30 year warranty available on this finish, including exterior applications. Consult finisher.
Chemically Etched Designs:
Hwa Yang Stainless has over 82 standard etched designs. Custom etching designs are available. The designs are produced after the polishing process is complete, and if titanium coloring is desired, the etching is produced before the coloring is complete. Therefore, you may have a chemically etched design on a polished sheet or you may have the chemically etched design on a polished and colored sheet.
Typical sheet size for acid etching is 4 feet by 8 feet. Consult with manufacturer for special size sheets.
2.3 STAINLESS STEEL FINISHES
A. Dull Satin, Directional Polish:
1. Meeting requirements of AISI/SSINA No. 6 Finish to achieve a Along grain hairline@ finish.
B. Mirror-Like Reflective, Nondirectional Polish:
1. Meeting AISI/SSINA No. 8 Finish and achieving a true mirror like reflection. No grit lines visible in finished product.
2. Single-sided [double-sided] finishing.
3. Acceptable Product: True #8 [Super #8] by Hwa Yang Stainless.
C. Titanium Colored Stainless:
1. Titanium nitrite based physical vapor deposition (PVD) process meeting the following requirements:
a. Salt Spray Test per ASTM B 117: No rust on coating surface after 300 hours.
b. Abrasion Resistance per ASTM D 968: Substrate not exposed.
c. Pencil Hardness Test per ASTM D 3363: Passed hardness scale B.
d. Accelerated Weather per ASTM G 53 for 100 hours to determine Value of Color Difference per ASTM D 2244: 0.7.
e. Resistant to staining by detergent, oil-based marker pens, lipstick, and soy sauce.
f. Resistant to Solvents (unleaded gasoline, xylene, methonol): 50 hour immersion at room temperature, no visible difference.
g. Heat Resistance: No visible change observed after 50 hours at 100 degrees C.
2. Polished Finish: True #8 [Super #8] [No. 4] [No. 6].
3. Color: [Gold] [Brass] [TI Gold] [Rose Gold] [Rose Copper] [Bronze] [Brown] [Black] [Charcoal] [As selected from manufacturer=s standard colors].
D. Chemically Etched Design:
1. Chemically etched silk-screened design.
2. Polished Finish: True #8 [Super #8] [No. 4] [No. 6].
3. [Titanium Colored: [Gold] [Brass] [TI Gold] [Rose Gold] [Rose Copper] [Bronze] [Brown] [Black] [Charcoal] [As selected from manufacturer=s standard colors].]
4. Pattern: [_________.] [As selected by Architect from manufacturer=s standard patterns.] [Custom pattern as selected by Architect.]
2.4 FINISHES, GENERAL
A. Comply with SSINA for recommendations relative to application and designations of finishes.
B. Complete mechanical finishes of flat sheet metal surfaces before fabrication, wherever possible. After fabrication, finish all joints, bends, abrasions, and other surface blemishes to match sheet finish.
C. Protect mechanical finishes on exposed surfaces from damage by application of adhesive paper or other temporary protective covering, prior to shipment.
2.5 MISCELLANEOUS MATERIALS
A. Welding Electrodes and Filler Metal:
1. Type and alloy of filler metal and electrodes as recommended by producer of metal to be welded, complying with applicable AWS specifications, and as required for strength and compatibility in the fabricated items and to maintain corrosion resistance.
2. Use filler metals and welding procedures which will blend with and match the color of sheet metal being joined and will avoid discoloration at welds.
1. Of same basic metal and alloy as fastened metal, unless otherwise indicated. Do not use metals which are corrosive or incompatible with metals joined.
C. Anchors and Inserts:
1. Of same basic metal and alloy as fastened metal and size and type required for type of loading and installation indicated, as recommended by manufacturer, unless otherwise indicated.
A. Refer to Section [________].
PART 3 EXECUTION
A. Refer to Section [________].
A. Repair finishes damaged during fabrication, installation, and construction period so that no evidence remains of correction work. Return items which cannot be refinished in the field to the factory; make required alterations and refinish entire unit, or provide new units as required.
B. Chemically clean welds. Do not use carbon steel files, brushes, or grinding wheels.
A. Protect finishes of sheet metal from damage during fabrication and construction period. Remove temporary protective coverings at time of Substantial Completion.
END OF SECTION
Home Page The Company Product Features Contact Us E-mail Previous Page